Saturday 30 March 2013

Day #53

Ok, let's try this thing. I'm typing in my afternoon break for a change, since I'm afraid I'll be too tired tonight after another shift at the restaurant.

So, as I mentioned yesterday, I worked this morning too because on weekends we serve breakfast as well as lunch and dinner. We had quite a busy morning, but I like being busy, keeps me focused and, truth to be told, I'd rather jog a little from the kitchen to the tables than stand at the entrance waiting for new customers doing nothing. 

I still have tons to learn, of course, especially for what concerns the end-of-the-day procedures and the wines, but I'm already pretty knowledgeable about the table disposition and what is offered on the menus after only a couple of days.

I like Davina and Tony, the owners, and I like even more having something to do. You know, of course at the end of the day I've been useful and done my job for my employers, but remembering the name of the child of these regular customers after only assisting them once last Thursday, that is something I do for the them, for ''my'' patrons and something I do for me as well. It makes me feel good to know they feel appreciated and cared for. God, I love this side of my job. It's what I loved in Hilton most as well.

I have two fellow colleagues, Tunda and Kyle. I didn't really have a chance to know him, because we worked together only on Thursday night and we were so busy we hardly had time to introduce to one another. But he managed to tell me he comes from South Africa - another item on my To-Visit List - and that he has some Italian origin.
Tunda, on the other hand, is Hungarian and she has been so helpful to me. She's the one I always go to if I have some question on a standard or a dish or I don't know where to find something. She has been very patient with me and since the very first trial she has always been very nice answering me whenever I had something on my mind.


Ok, it's already time for me to get ready to go back to the restaurant. I'll close this entry with a very nice piece of news: this morning I got the tips from Thursday and today and it was more than $30 :D NICE. I know I shouldn't be too eager around money, but you know, I kind of have to pay for my rent on a weekly basis, so yeah.


Ok, proviamo quest'altra cosa. Vi scrivo durante la mia pausa pomeridiana per vedere se riesco a raccontarvi qualcosa in più, temo altrimenti stasera non sarò in grado di produrre nulla di utile.
Quindi, come vi dicevo ieri, stamattina sono andata a lavorare perché nel weekend serviamo anche a colazione. In mattinata siamo stati parecchio pieni, ma mi piace avere qualcosa da fare, mi tiene concentrata e a dir la verità, preferisco di gran lunga correre tra cucina e tavoli piuttosto che rimanere inchiodata all'entrata ad aspettare nuovi clienti facendo nulla.
Naturalmente ho un sacco di altre cose da imparare, soprattutto per quello che riguarda le procedure per chiudere il locale a fine serata oppure tutto ciò che concerne i vini, ma so già parecchie cose sulla disposizione dei tavoli e gli elementi del menù solo dopo pochi giorni.

I proprietari, Tony e Davina, mi stanno simpatici, ma una delle cose che preferisco dell'avere un lavoro è che ho qualcosa da fare!
Ovviamente alla fine della giornata, sono d'aiuto e ho svolto il mio lavoro per soddisfare i miei boss, però ricordare il nome del figlio di questa coppia di clienti abitudinari dopo averli serviti solo una volta giovedì sera è qualcosa che faccio per loro, per i ''miei'' clienti e anche per me stessa. Mi fa stare bene sapere che anche se per poco si sentono accolti e trattati con cura. Come mi piace questa parte del mio lavoro!! È la cosa che mi piaceva di più anche in Hilton.
Ho due colleghi, Tunda e Kyle. Non ho avuto occasione di parlare insieme a Kyle, perché abbiamo avuto lo stesso turno solo giovedì sera e siamo stati così impegnati che abbiamo a malapena avuto il tempo di presentarci. Però è riuscito a dirmi che viene dal Sud Africa - un'altro dei posti sulla mia lista dei Paesi-da-Visitare - e che ha una remota origine italiana.
Tunda, invece, viene dall'Ungheria ed è stata di estremo aiuto in questi primi giorni. Vado sempre da lei se ho qualche domanda a livello di standards da seguire o un piatto speciale o se non so dove si trova un certo qualcosa. È stata molto paziente con me sin dalla prima prova e anche molto carina a chiarire i miei dubbi.

Ok, si è già fatta ora per me di ritornare al ristorante. Concludo il post di oggi con una bella notizia: questa mattina Davina mi ha dato le mance di giovedì sera e stamattina e sono più di 30 dollari! FANTASTICO. So che non dovrei essere troppo avida circa il denaro, ma cercate di capirmi, devo in qualche modo pagarmi l'affitto ogni settimana.

No comments:

Post a Comment