Thursday 7 February 2013

Day #2

I got sunburnt on my nose. I'm a genius.
Despite the occasional two-minutes rain episodes we had this morning, Brisbane today was in general hot, humid and sunny. But of course I would have never guessed I'd get a sunburn for that! Most of the time I was in the shades or under some shelter!
I mean, even Claire, my hometown girl whom I share the room with, wondered how in the world I got burnt! Guess I didn't get maldivian skin afterall last year.

So anyway, today Claire was off and kindly showed me the neighbourhood (still trying to figure out whether I'm typing in British or American English) and the bus stops I'll need the most in the next few weeks. Then in the afternoon she took me downtown, showed me the main streets and had a walk with me to the South Bank.

This afternoon I had such a bad case of sleepiness that we headed to a Starbucks in a hurry to get me some coffe to wake me up. I guess it worked, but I'm not sure whether it's still the coffee or the jet lag that keeps me going now that it's a quarter past midnight.

All in all, I had a very good day, but my face kinda hurts.
Tomorrow I'll be hanging out with Karen. She's so lovely, she wants to help me too. I seriously love nice people.

Quick catch-up: Karen is the main reason why I picked Brisbane over any other city in Oz. (By the way, am I the only one that finds absurd that Australia is often referred to as Oz. I mean, am I the only one that thinks straight to Dorothy, the Wonderful Wizard and FREAKING WICKED - the musical was awesome, in case you were wondering - ?)
So as I was saying, I met Karen and her partner Tony back in September and when they offered to help me on my first days in Australia I jumped on the opportunity. I booked my flight in and only later found out about the crazy connections I already talked to you about.
Mi sono bruciata il naso. Sono un genio.
A parte le occasionali pioggie da due minuti, oggi Brisbane in generale era calda, umida e soleggiata. Ma naturalmente non mi sarei mai aspettata una bruciatura! La maggior parte del tempo l'ho passata sotto pensiline e all'ombra!
Neanche Claire, la ragazza del mio paese con cui divido la camera, riesce a credere che io mi sia ustionata. Vorrà dire che probabilmente non ho sviluppato melanina maldiviana a sufficienza l'anno scorso.

Comunque, oggi Claire mi ha portato in giro per il vicinato, mostrandomi un po' i punti di riferimento principali e le fermate dei pullman che mi saranno più utili nelle prossime settimane. Poi nel pomeriggio siamo andate in centro città, mi ha fatto vedere le vie principali e poi mi ha accompagnato fino a South Bank, la riva a sud del fiume.

Questo pomeriggio ho sperimentato un caso così acuto di sonnolenza che per rimediare ci siamo fiondate in uno Starbucks - se ne trovano dietro ogni angolo -  a prendere del caffè. Deve aver funzionato, ma in questo momento non saprei dirvi se sono ancora sveglia (ed è mezzanotte e mezza ora) per colpa del caffè o del jet lag.

Riassumendo, ho passato proprio una bella giornata. Ma la faccia mi fa ancora male.
Domani Karen mi porta a fare un giro. È così carino da parte sua che voglia aiutarmi pure lei. Adoro la gente gentile!

Piccolo riassunto: Karen è la ragione per cui ho scelto di andare a Brisbane piuttosto che in un'altra città qui in Australia. Ho incontrato Karen e il suo compagno Tony lo scorso settembre in Italia, e quando si sono resi disponibili ad assistermi durante i miei primi giorni via da casa, non mi sono lasciata scappare l'opportunità! Solo dopo ho scoperto di tutti gli altri contatti di cui vi ho già parlato.

No comments:

Post a Comment