Tuesday 16 July 2013

Day #161

This morning I visited the Sydney Opera House. It was a giuded tour organized by the SOH itself, costed $28 dollars but it was totally worth while. Robbie, our guide, was very knowledgeable and fun in his explanations. I couldn't take any picture of the Concert Hall or of the Joan Sutherland Theatre, because they were getting the stages ready for productions and we were forbidden to take out our cameras. I did take some pics of the outside and foyers, though! Here you go!
Look at that purple carpet! 


One of the most interesting facts about the construction of the building - aside from the fact that Jørn Utzon, the architect, never saw it finished because he resigned before the 'sails' were even completed and never returned to Australia after that - is that the original plan was having the Opera House built in 3 years with a 7 million dollar budget, but it took them 16 years to finish it and they ended up spending more than 100 million dollars!!! 

Another fun fact: you might think that the 'sails' or 'shells' are completely covered in white tiles, but truth is, there are more brownish colored tiles than white ones! Had the roofs been white, in the sunlight, everybody would have been blinded by the building!!

Well, long story short, not only did I find the tour interesting, but I thoroughly enjoyed the art and architecture lesson coming with it! I definitely recommend you should visit the SOH, should you happen to be in Sydney. 
Oh, and yeah, I mentioned I couldn't take any pictures of the interior of the Concert Hall, but you should know that it's such a huge auditorium that I have no other adjective to describe it, but 'awe-inspiring'.

After that, I took a stroll through the Botanic Gardens, which are - guess what? - huge as well as full of different kinds of plants and flowers and birds!!! Seriously, they are massive. I got a map to find my way around and still managed to get lost - which doesn't happen to me that often because I am kind of a pro in reading city maps. 
I also sat on a bench and read. The view I had from the bench was breathtaking: Sydney Harbour shimmering in the sunlight. I might get used to it!
In the early afternoon I visited the Art Gallery of New South Wales, and even though I wasn't really impressed by their collection of XVIII and XIX Centuries pieces, I was totally amazed by the contemporary art display they had there! Wow! Such powerful and strong imgages! And the use of materials and space, my goodness! Something to behold!!!

I also visited the Museum of Contemporary Art, in The Rocks, but it wasn't as good. Still, pretty nice, but not so mesmerizing!
After that visit I rushed back to the hostel because it was pouring rain and I was in my flats. Thank Goodness the hostel is right next to Central Station: I just had to jump on a train at Circular Quay and in less than 15 minutes I was already in my hostel room!!!


Questa mattina ho visitato la Sydney Opera House. Ho comprato un biglietto per un tour guidato organizzato dalla stessa SOH, che è costato 28 dollari, ma che li è valsi tutti! Robbie, la nostra guida, non solo era molto preparato, ma anche divertente negli aneddoti sul complesso. Non ho potuto fare nessuna foto all'interno della Concert Hall o del Joan Sutherland Theatre; dato che stavano montando scenografie e preparando i palcoscenici per futuri eventi ci hanno vietato di tirare fuori le macchine fotografiche. Però ho scattato parecchie foto dell'esterno e dei foyer vari. La prima foto del post ne è un esempio! Guardate quel tappeto viola!!!
Uno dei fatti più curiosi legati alla costruzione dell'Opera House - a parte il fatto che Jørn Utzon, l'architetto, non ha mai visto l'edificio completato perché si è licenziato prima della fine e non è mai ritornato in Australia per vedere la sua opera completa - è che all'inizio, pensavano di completare la costruzione in tre anni, spendendo 7 milioni di dollari, ma hanno finito per impiegarcene 16 e con una spesa superiore ai 100 milioni di dollari!!!
Un'altra cosa che potreste non sapere: le cosiddette 'vele' o 'conchiglie', come volete chiamarle, non sono ricoperte di piastrelle bianche - come uno potrebbe pensare guardando le foto della Sydney Harbour, sono infatti molto più numerose le piastrelle beige e delle tonalità del marrone chiaro! Se il tetto fosse stato bianco, sarebbe stato impossibile ammirare l'edificio sotto la luce del sole senza esserne completamente accecati!
Quindi, per farla breve, non solo ho apprezzato un sacco il tour perché era interessante eccetera, ma anche per la lezione di architettura inclusa nel prezzo! Se mai vi capitasse di trovarvi a Sydney, vi raccomando vivamente di visitare l'Opera House, ne vale davvero la pena!
Oh, e vi dicevo che, purtroppo, non ho potuto scattare nessuna foto della Concert Hall, ma immaginatevi uno spazio immenso, completamente rivestito di legno, del quale mi sento di parlare solo con un certo timore reverenziale. Maestoso!
Geniale opera d'arte.
Nessun oggetto implica l'esistenza di un altro.
E l'artista lo ha scritto su uno specchio!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment